Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Breastfeeding Support Group

Hi. My name is Leigh Anne and I have a problem.

The hospital started this breastfeeding support group that you can go to every week. I decided to go because I need all the help I can get! The benefits that I was particularly looking forward to was 1. I could weigh her and see how much she had gained, and 2. I could get a chance to talk to the lactation girls again.

When I got there, there was a circle of chairs, with about 8 moms and their babies and their BOOBS! Some a little less shy than others. Being a labor and delivery nurse, I help moms breastfeed, but there was just something different about a boob circle! The lactation nurse that I last dealt with, Bev, was there and I was so happy to see her again.  I immediately took Ansley over to the scale and weighed in. She was 6lbs 10.4oz! Yay, Ansley! Our goal is .5-1oz/day weight gain. Our weight gain over the past 5days was just under 1oz/day! ‘Weigh’ to go baby! Now to work on more of the milk from me than from the bottle!

The whole time that I was there I felt like I was apart of a documentary. Maybe the family that was from San Francisco in the movie-“Babies”. Most of the moms were a little “hippy”, “earthy”, or just plain weird for me! They were all really nice and welcoming, apparently most of them go to many different new-mom groups now.  I guess it was nice to know that I am not the only one worried about weight gain or milk supply. But the biggest help was coming up with a few more “tricks” to do by talking to the lactation consultant.(like doing Kangaroo care,skin to skin, again).  I don’t know if I will go again or not. We will see how I feel next week…

Here’s what 6lb 10.4oz looks like. (Above birth weight of 6lb 9oz!)

P1080466P1080468

No comments:

Post a Comment