Monday, August 10, 2009

2 Thumbs Up!

Today was NST(nonstress test) #2. It went much better than last weeks. Words to describe his heartbeat that we are looking for to "pass" the test are reactive and reassuring. Today the nurse practitioner(NP) went to show the doctor my strip (a 30 minute tracing of the babies heartbeat) and when she came back I got a thumbs up and she said the doctor said that it was reactive! Yeah baby! She even said that he looked better than he did last week. The more that I thought about it- the more that makes sense. Last week, they laid me back in the recliner and hooked up the monitors. I immediately felt the need to start wiggling. I have never tried to remain still when I get the urge to wiggle. But I was trying to be a good patient, so even though I couldn't breath I just laid there on my back. After I got to the point of feeling like I was going to pass out, I finally said something to the NP, and sat up quickly. Josh said that I got white as a sheet. I was really close to passing out. Apparently with all the weight of the fluid and the baby, it put too much pressure on my main artery that runs down the back of my belly. So it would make sense if I didn't feel good because of circulation issues than little guy wouldn't have either, making his strip not look so good. It didn't look bad just not good. After my little incident last week, I finished the test on my left side. So this week we started the test on my side. He was the wiggle worm this week! We both felt much better!

P.S The bold terms are medical terms that make it a whole lot easier to explain things if I can use them...so you get a vocabulary lesson while reading our blog!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear things went well and Caleb looks good! Thanks for the vocab. lesson!

    ReplyDelete