Monday, October 12, 2009

Mature lungs at 37 weeks and 1 day???

We had an amniocentesis done on Monday, October 12th. We got there at 8:45am, bright and early. Not only was it early, but I slept a total of 3 hours the night before, wasn't allowed to eat anything, and a little nervous...so needless to say I was a little irritable(which Josh loves!). First they did a ultrasound to see where a pocket of fluid is where baby is not, then Dr. R came in. She is so relaxed and comforting about everything, including sticking a big needle in my gut...somehow she kept me calm. I was titled to my left and held Josh's hand the whole time. First she numbed my skin right about the "pocket" and then Caleb decided that was a great spot for his foot. So then she took a big needle and stuck it all the way into the womb about 2inches away from where she numbed it because of Caleb's foot. Thanks buddy! The needle part wasnt fun, but the worst part was her inside my uterus. Josh said when she was drawing fluid out was what bothered me most. He watched the whole thing! I was crampy and achy around the spot and then started contracting. We then walked to MAU, the triage unit to be monitored for an hour.

After the amnio....we survived!
And they fed me a yummy turkey sandwich.

Baby Caleb looked great on the monitor and I was contracting about every 2-3 minutes. I rated them a 2 out of 10, because I know I need to save my 10 for when its really a 10!

Now we wait for a phone call(maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow morning) to see if his little lungs are mature and will be able to breathe! We have said many a prayers for this little guy and his development. Now we just have to trust in the Lord. Plan A: if his lungs are mature then we will be admitted to the hospital at 9pm tomorrow night and get induced. Plan B:(I am not a fan of this one) if his lungs are NOT mature, then I will get 2 shots in the rear of a steroid, betamethasone, to help mature his lungs. He is full term now, so they should be mature. The induction would be off!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed that you were able to stay calm during the procedure! You look beautiful in the pictures - seriously, you're the first person that I've seen that can pull off a hospital gown.

    Praying for you and for good news! Can't wait to meet baby Caleb!!!

    We love you guys!

    Brett and Jessica Crisp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and sweet little Caleb! Does not sound like a fun procedure you had. ug.

    ReplyDelete